Friday, November 18, 2011

Justin Rain Keynote at WAFF


 Rain is the Keynote Speaker at the Building Bridges event on Saturday, November 19th at the Garrick Event Centre at 7:00 p.m. that is a part of the film festival. The Building Bridges event is put on through the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's Commemoration Initiative that looks at the intergenerational effects of residential school. Rain is there for the entire festival and leaves Winnipeg on Sunday.


"Justin Rain is just a quiet nice young man who seems at times perplexed by the fuss made over his appearance at the 10th anniversary of the Winnipeg Aboriginal Film Festival but he's getting used to it.
"Last year, they had me speak at a couple of schools too and I didn't have a lot of experience speaking in front of large groups," said Rain. "It kind of inspired me to create the artist project I have now - Artist Inside. I feel good being here. I'm a little more confident. I'm not as stage shy."
For anyone living under a rock, Rain has a recurring role in the hugely popular Twilight movie saga.
And he's also made his name working in the Blackstone TV series and starred in "Two Indians Talking" that won the Rogers People’s Choice Award, Most Popular Canadian Film at the Vancouver International Film Festival 2010. However, for Rain its all about focusing on the youth and reaching out to them.
"There's nothing more rewarding than the work I do with the youth. I really love hanging out with the youth and trying to inspire them. Sharing my own personal messages. The things that I overcame when I was their age. The drug addiction, the peer pressure, the bullying. Those are all things that I've experienced," said Rain.

Not bad for a boy of Plains Cree descent who grew up in Saskatchewan."
Read Entire Interview at the Source

No comments:

Post a Comment