Never forget the Quileute Tribe is an actual people with real legends. The Twilight tale of the First Wolf Transformation actually belittles their own Creation Story of Qwati transforming the first Quileute people from wolves!
On visiting La Push-
The Quileute Tribe is a Sovereign Nation which means they have their own government inside of the United States that consists of a Tribal Council.
The Quileute Tribe makes decisions on how best to balance community and tradition, while providing visitors with enjoyable experiences. However, in an effort to avoid misunderstandings or violations of our customs, we ask that visitors follow basic procedures for conduct. Thank you for your assistance in helping us protect our sacred and ceremonial areas including the preservation of historical artifacts.
· Please be attentive to signage, and obey our individual tribal rules and regulations.
· Please respect the privacy of residential communities.
· Ask before photographing or recording an individual, an event, or activity.
· Do not pick up or remove artifacts or objects, such as sand, rocks, shells, minerals, marine growth, driftwood from beach, eagle feathers, broken pottery, etc. (This is a violation of ORDINANCE NO. 74-A-8)
· Burial grounds and religious ceremonies are sacred and are not to be entered.
Traditionally, our people are hospitable and generous in nature. However, spiritual teachings, sacred ceremonies and burial grounds are not openly shared with the public.
We are proud of our teachings, and our heritage. They have been passed to us by our ancestors, and represent thousands of years of our individual histories. Your patience and understanding of our traditions and cultures is appreciated.
Sites to learn more about the Twilight Legend and the Actual Quileute Legends